Assistance and Advice


Most of the work we undertake is for domestic extensions and loft conversions, so the advice given is mainly suited for these types of projects.  If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on 01689 619 068.


Permitted Development (Certificate of Lawfulness)

The proposals for some projects can be done under permitted development.  This is where Planning Permission is not required.  If you use the link to the Planning Portal, there are good visual guides that can assist you.  Also, if you click on “Permitted Development for Householders” this is a document used by the Planning Departments to ascertain if your application is considered Lawful or not.

Even though it is not a legal requirement to submit a Certificate of Lawfulness, SD Building Plans recommend that you do so as it provides you with a certificate/approval document that states that your proposal is legal, which should you come to move will make it a smoother process when a solicitor is involved.

Some properties are exempt from permitted development meaning that Planning Permission is always required.  The most common type of property includes Listed Buildings.


Planning Permission

When your proposal does not fall under permitted development, a Planning Application is required.  

Different council’s have different Planning Policy by which they adhere to.  Each application is taken on its own merits but due to our experience working with different local authorities, we will be able to advise you.  


Building Regulations

This is required for most building work or conversions.  All works are to carried out to a required standard and are to be approved by either the Council’s Building Inspector or by an approved independent inspector.  This process is normally broken down into 2 stages:-

Plan stage - detailed drawings are submitted to the local authority for approval.  These drawings include sizes and types of materials used, insulation calculations, structural information etc.

Inspection stage - when the drawings have been approved and building commences, the building inspector is requested to visit the site at certain stages of the build and check that work is being carried out as per the drawings.



Certificate of Lawfulness - Planning Applications - Building Regulation Applications

Council time scales and costs


Certificate of Lawfulness


6 to 8 weeks


Planning Application


6 to 8 weeks


Full Plan Application (Building Regulations)

Cost varies subject to size and local authority

5 to 8 weeks

Home     I     Services     I     Assistance & Advice     I     Contact Us     I     About Us